Smart Recycling nominated as a finalist in the 2019 Premier’s Sustainability Awards
September 11, 2019
We are pleased to announce that Smart Recycling has been nominated as a finalist in the 2019 Premier’s Sustainability Awards!
It is wonderful for our team at Smart to be acknowledged after 22 years of pioneering innovative recycling in Melbourne.
Our list of achievements include:
- Diversion of over 1 million tonnes of waste from landfill.
- Creation of useful, cost effective recycled products for the domestic Australian Market place.
- The creation of 3 depots in the North, West and South East of Melbourne that employ over 80 people.
- Creation of a recycling collective consisting of 4 separate companies, all working together with a shared vision of creating a cleaner, greener future:
- Smart Recycling
- Commercial Tippers
- Reusing/Repurposing over half a million timber and plastic pallets per annum and creating a closed loop for many companies who want their valuable assets collected, repaired and returned.
- Installation of a 100 KW solar system at the main Dandenong Site, which has now been providing power to the site for 2 years, surpassing the sites needs and providing excess green energy into the grid.
- Installation of a 32 KW solar system at the Epping site, which provides a substantial proportion of that sites energy requirements.
- Transitioning from fossil fuel (diesel) equipment to electric that can utilize our solar – now a quarter of our forklift fleet is electric and we have our first electric vehicle in the company fleet.
- In Dandenong South we have designed the greenest recycling depot we could envisage with Variable Speed Drive Compressor (VSD), Double Glazing, Electric Charging Stations, over half a million litres of rainwater tanks, waste water treatment plants x 2 to filter our waste water and provide grey water to our substantial tree planting around the perimeter of our 35 acre site, solar power, bio-retention/rain gardens to slow storm water runoff and 300mm thick hardstands poured from left over wet concrete!
And to top it all off we are building a State of the Art Waste Sortation Facility at the Dandenong South Depot, which will be commissioned over the coming months. This new facility has the capacity to divert an additional 100,000+ tonnes of waste per annum from landfill!
Thanks a million for this nomination. It’s such an honour to be a finalist. We look forward to celebrating the collective environmental achievements of Victorian businesses, schools, Community Groups and other institutions on the 10th of October, 2019!